The Presidential Task Force on Inclusion and Belonging is pleased to announce a longlist of 20 semifinalists in the competition to revise the final line of Harvard’s Alma Mater, "Fair Harvard." These text entries were selected out of a pool of 168 entries by a subcommittee of the Task Force, with input from the Task Force generally. There were no submissions of musical variants for the Alma Mater.
These 20 entries work within the constraints of the rhymes, rhythm, and sense of the existing Alma Mater lyrics to convey the accessibility and value of the pursuit of truth to people from all backgrounds and to affirm the University’s commitment to inclusive excellence. The longlisted entries are:
Lyrics to Fair Harvard
Fair Harvard! we join in thy Jubilee throng,
Farewell! be thy destinies onward and bright!
The University community is invited to comment on these entries from October 1 through 31, via the Solution Space. Instructions for submitting comments are below:
- Visit https://solutionspace.harvard.edu/.
- Click on the "Submit a Solution" button.
- Log in with your HarvardKey.
- After completing the form, check the box for "Alma Mater Longlist Comments" and click the "Save" button at the bottom of the screen.
- You have now shared your comments with the Task Force and the Harvard community.
The longlist along with community comments will be shared with a panel of distinguished community judges on November 1, 2017. The panel will select select three finalists to forward to the University for selection of the the final winner, to be announced at the start of the spring semester.